More on amalgam fillings – Getting them taken out!

I am about to embark on a dangerous adventure, to get the remaining amalgam fillings that have been lying festering in my mouth now for decades, removed for good. I have enlisted my trusted local dentists’ surgery to do the job and I’m now researching how to ensure the exercise is as successful and mercury free as possible.

Are they really safe?
When you consider that amalgam fillings are made with 50% mercury – Yes! That’s right! 50%! – it’s no surprise that dentists have to treat any removed amalgam fillings as hazardous waste, to be disposed of appropriately. Would it also surprise you to know that dentists surgeries have to be fitted with special filters and water purifiers to ensure no mercury is flushed into the water supply? I bet you didn’t know that.

However if you believe what National Health dentists would have you believe, once mercury is bonded with the other metal compounds in the amalgam filling it becomes completely safe! A dentist however is advised to follow strict health and safety procedures when fitting amalgam fillings which basically means they shouldn’t touch the amalgam at all. Then on removal, again, the amalgam suddenly turns dangerous again. Sounds dodgey to me, and once again, like our pharmaceutical industry and food manufacturing organisations, who would have us believe that all drugs are safe and the GMO foods are harmless – it’s all about money. Not our health – just pure hard greedy cash.

So why are dentists across the world still putting these horrible mercury filled cheap fillings into peoples mouths? It amazes me, but when you also consider that most people don’t show any adverse reactions to having these fillings bleeding mercury vapour into their mouths throughout their lives, perhaps it’s no surprise. They are also very cheap to produce and durable, making dentistry and tooth care available to everyone, not just those who can afford the white fillings.

What are amalgam fillings doing to your health?
But, are they really having no effect on people? Do we really know what the long term effects of having a mouth full of mercury really are to peoples health? I know that I’ve had allergies, eczema and asthma all my life, they weren’t caused by fillings. However, the more fillings I’ve had, and my teeth are soft so I’ve had a few in my lifetime, the more problems I’ve had. I am atopic and have a predisposition to skin problems and allergies so maybe I’m more sensitive than others. I often wake with a horrible metallic taste in my mouth that I can’t get rid of. I also grind my teeth and have an unfortunate tendency to clench my jaw – I don’t even know I’m doing it – Could all these things add to the amount of mercury that might be escaping from my fillings? The two links at the end of this blog post will also give you some food for thought as to what amalgam fillings are actually doing to our health.

Consider also the rise in cancer, depression, obesity and allergies, to name just a few of the many modern conditions that seem to be more prevalent. We don’t know why such an increase is occuring, nor what’s causing it. Could it be anything to do with amalgam fillings? Not everyone gets cancer from smoking, but it is proven to increase the chances dramatically. What if amalgam fillings, and let’s face it, very few people don’t have any at all, could be the cause of just some of these incidences of cancer? One is too many in my opinion. If it’s dangerous for some, don’t do it.

Is it safe to have amalgam fillings removed?
The actual act of having amalgam fillings removed puts both the patient and the dentist at risk of exposure to the fumes but there are techniques which help to minimise this. Using a rubber dam and aspirators to prevent vapour inhalation is one way of minimising exposure. Also, by carefully drilling out around the edge of each filling it should fall out on it’s oww fairly intact, rather than just drilling straight into it so that lots of bits crumble off and could end up being swallowed! I know I’ve swallowed lots of amalgam when having these fillings put in and removed in the past when they’ve needed replacing. Doesn’t really bear thinking about but I often felt ill after visits to the dentists in the past. All in my head? Possibly, but what if it’s not?

What precautions should you take if you plan to have amalgam fillings removed?

Howard Carr of Three Counties Therapy told me that, “protocols for mopping up the inevitably absorbed mercury have been changed to some extent. I have substituted ‘Seagreens’ for the chlorella, as it has a much higher content of polysaccharides, the plant fibres that do the binding. Seagreens are also tolerated very well by everybody, which chlorella is not always, in the kind of high doses generally recommended. They are also the best possible source of minerals and I have found that they counteract acidity in the system better than any other method I have used with my clients. Energy levels are often greatly enhanced. The normal dosage is two a day, but 2 morning and one in the evening is suggested for three weeks after mercury amalgam removal.”
Find out more about Seagreens on their website at www.seagreens.co.uk.

Howard also suggests the following brands for the other supplements:-

  • Biocare Selenium Complex – 3 daily with food.
  • Nutri Psyllium and Apple Pectin – 4 caps. 3 times daily with 8 oz. water . This contains the charcoal, amongst other things.
  • Lamberts Vitamin C 1000 mg. Time Release.

“How long it will take to get rid of mercury toxicity depends on a number of factors, not least on how skilfully the work of removal is done. Dentists that I recommend, such as Pomeroy and Rust in Bicester, or Dr. Halvorsen in Prestwood are well set up for the process, with rubber dams, aspirators, etc. If you are using your own dentist you really have to be sure that they are competent in the procedure.”

I am confident my dentist is competent to carry out this proceedure but I’m not looking forward to two days of dribbling after anaesthetic; hopefully it will all be worth it. I’ll certainly share any findings on here.

Howard also suggests a saliva test before and after treatment to gauge the amount of mercury in the body before removal and after to get a good idea of the exposure levels, and again after three months to check how levels have decreased.

If you would like to speak to Howard visit www.threecountiestherapy.com for his contact details.

For further reading…
Anyone who needs convincing of the dangers caused by amalgam fillings would do well to look at the following:-
http://amalgamillness.com/Mercury.html
and
http://www.iaomt.org/videos

The human body is actually very good at getting rid of anything it sees as harmful or not useful, but it can do with a helping hand. Mercury can be stored in the body for years so taking the supplements above will help to flush them out and speed any improvement in health that removal of mercury fillings will bring.

Have you got mercury amalgam fillings? Have you had them removed? Did you feel much better afterwards?

Did you like this? Share it:
About Ruth

Ruth works freelance as a copywriter and writes the What Allergy blog to share information with people who have allergies, eczema, asthma and food intolerances. http://www.whatallergy.com was voted in the top 5 allergy blogs and Ruth also judges regularly for the FreeFrom Food Awards and FreeFrom Skincare Awards. She runs a support group for the Anaphylaxis Campaign and also writes regularly for Exchange, The National Eczema Society quarterly magazine.

Comments

  1. Great article. I’ve enjoyed this contribution. Its nice to see every questions answered in a blog post like this. I will add this post on my blog and link to it. Thanks for a clear informative post, I’ve learned a lot. I hope to see videos though as I can be A.D.D and reading articles is not my favorite thing to do online. So what I do sometimes is just print the whole thing and read offline.
    My site is [url=http://www.thehealthydietplan.net]Heart healthy diet[/url].

  2. This is scary. Like you I’m sensitive / allergic to rather a lot of things and I have a mouth full of fillings. I’m currently suffering from the problem of having such overfilled teeth that the teeth that are left seem to break rather more often than they should.
    But I’m on benefits, have virtually no spare money and cannot afford to get my fillings removed. I’m therefore very concerned as every time one of my teeth or fillings disintegrate I’m probably swallowing more mercury and increasing my chances of poisoning. I suffer with a lot of gum bleeding and swelling and now wonder whether this could be the effect of my sensitivity to mercury.
    Until I make my fortune I’ll have to continue suffering and now….. worrying! Thanks for bringing it to our attention though.

    • I am looking for somewhere for a cheaper cost than £100 a tooth but also somewhere that is aware of what I’m worried about and will take proper precautions to reduce any exposure to mercury during removal. No it’s not going to be cheap but I think it’s got to be done… start saving Sue!

Speak Your Mind

*


4 × = sixteen