After my own recent root canal surgery I have learnt a great deal about the possible pit falls for those with allergies or sensitivities. My dentist was really helpful and looked into every aspect of the surgery and used alternatives to the things that could have made me very ill. So here’s what you need to know.
- Ask about the rubber dam. This is used to protect your mouth from the heated equipment that is needed to finish off the root filling. My dentist bought a special non-latex dam just for me.
- Gutta percha is made from natural rubber latex. This is what’s used to fill the cavity once the root has been drilled and nerves removed. Again, there are other alternatives so check these out with your dentist before considering this surgery if you have a latex allergy.
- The sealant – This can also cause people problems. Find out what it is and what the possible allergy implications might be and discuss alternatives with your dentist.
- Ask about disinfectant – Dentists use Chlorhexidine as an antiseptic to disinfect the root before filling to ensure all trace of bacteria and infection are cleared up. Chlorhexadine is found in Corsodyl mouthwash so is considered fairly harmless but it has begun to cause allergic reactions in some peple. My dentist has seen a lady have an allergic reaction to it. Ask if a simple bleach solution can be used instead. Not ever so appealing but preferable to an allergic reaction on the dentist’s chair.
- Latex allergy – If you have a latex allergy ask the dentist and assistant to wear non-latex vinyl gloves. It is possible to get some very good quality non-latex gloves now which many professionals are choosing to use over the latex because there is less chance of irritation for both their patients and their staff. My dentist now only buys the non-latex gloves so I know I’ll be safe from the latex.
- Nickel and other allergies – If you are allergic to anything else that is used at the dentists it’s a good idea to book the first appointment of the day so that everything is clean and there is no chance of cross contamination.
Ask lots of questions and if your dentists doesn’t listen or ignores your concerns, don’t get it done. It’s an expensive proceedure so you need to be sure about it before going ahead. However if you have a tooth abscess you’ll be in so much pain you won’t care, not something I’d like to go through again in a hurry.
The treatment itself is not painful, or I didn’t find it so. It is very long winded though and requires quite a few long spells laying back on the dentists chair with your mouth wide open. It’s uncomfortable but I’m so glad it’s over now.
I have had a flushed face since having this proceedure but I’m hoping it will go down with time. It isn’t as itchy and painful as most of my normal allergic reactions, just feels slightly different, wrong, and warm.
It’s a pretty invasive treatment so if you’re body is sensitive the chances are it could put the balance out for a bit. Boost your immune system before having the treatment, during and after. Especially if you need to take anti-biotics to clear up any infection.
My tooth still feels sensitive to the touch and my face is still very red three days after. Have I just spent an offensive amount of money on some useless dentistry? Just a moment of googling this subject is enough to put anyone off ever having root canal work done. I really hope it sorts itself out, otherwise I will be questioning my dentist about why this wasn’t made clear to me in the first place.
The tooth in question is on the top jaw at the back so an extraction would not be the end of the world but does sound like an equally horrendous option. But if you STILL find eating on one side of your mouth uncomfortable what on earth is the point?
Are there any other dangers from root canal surgery?
I would suggest not googling this after having it done, as I have, because you’ll probably wish you hadn’t. I found this website article called Root Canal cover up exposted which is particularly terrifying, which basically talks about the tiny nerve canals that are left in the tooth after the surgery is done which can mean that the patient will still suffer with pain and infection even afterwards because a dead tooth is full of bacteria. Lovely! It does seem wrong to keep something dead inside your mouth just for vanity reasons. It appears the only real solution is extraction.
I wonder whether these website speading doom and gloom about root canal is just scare mongering or whether there is any truth in what they say.
Dentists seem to be loathe to ever extract a tooth and I can see that keeping ones own teeth has its advantages, but when a tooth has died, the nerves have gone necrotic and it no longer has a blood supply, why go through a very expensive treatment that ultimately could make you very sick and not solve the problem anyway?
Is it really a good idea to keep a dead tooth in your mouth? It’s dead. Dead things rot and decay. Don’t they?
My dentist swears it is very normal proceedure and that I should have no problems after a week. SHOULD! That little word rings in my ears. Has anyone else had root canal surgery and is suffering afterwards? Anyone had the gutta purcha filler (thank goodness I found out about this) and suddenly developed problems immediately afterwards?