I’ve written about this before and you can find links below to my old wheat free blog posts, because not all wheat and gluten free bread is equal. Many of the high street gluten free breads contain fillers, gums and ingredients like methyl cellulose – basically cardboard! And whilst I’m able to eat them safely, I do get skin irritation if I eat too much of these freefrom processed breads.
So I’m always on a mission for that perfect safe but clean wheat free bread. Over lockdown I’ve discovered a few!
My top 6 clean, wheat free, breads!
Here goes, in no particular order – the breads that have got me through lockdown:
- Calvin’s Free From Coconut Flat breads – these are amazing, have just five ingredients and taste so good! I could eat them for every meal. They toast really well, have a lovely pocket for filling and are very moreish. Ingredients: Water, Organic Coconut Flour* (20%), Organic Coconut Oil*, Organic Coconut Flour* (20%), Psyllium Husks*, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and a pinch of Salt. Visit Calvins FreeFrom to order direct.
- Seedful Organic gluten free range – These are also really lovely toasted. Packed full of seeds and no other allergens. They do a range of different loaves and buns. Ingredients of the Organic loaf slices: water, gluten free oat flakes, sunflower seed, brown linseed, golden linseed, rapeseed oil, pumpkin seed, millet seed, psyllium fibre, milled brown linseed, apple cider vinegar, Himalayan salt. I found these at Holland & Barrett online.
- Everfresh sprouted Rye Bread – This is so gooey, moist and soft that you don’t need to toast. Great with humous and dips. I do love it toasted too though, bit of a toast addict. Ingredients: Sprouted Rye (100%)No added sugar, Salt Free. I found these on Holland & Barrett online.
- BIONA Rye bread with chia and flax – This isn’t to everyone’s taste and obviously not OK for coeliacs but since I’m only wheat allergic, this bread is great for me. Ingredients: Wholegrain Rye Meal*, Water, Sourdough* (Wholegrain Rye Meal*, Water), Flax seeds* (5%), Chia Seeds (salvia hispanica)* (2.5%), Sea Salt. *certified organic ingredients. I buy this in most supermarkets and also available from Holland & Barrett as linked above.
- Waitrose Rye and Spelt Sourdough – Now be careful with this one as they do varieties that also contain wheat. But if you search in store they do an amazing sourdough that is wheat, egg and dairy free. It has only a very few ingredients and is really really good toasted! Very crispy and crunchy and pretty close to a normal sour dough. No link as I can’t find it online.
- Artisan Bread Organic – I also LOVE the Artisan Organic Bread Company, featured in this blog here: Healthy wheat free bread roundup. The owner is currently looking for a buyer as she is retiring so if anyone reading this wants to run a fantastic, organic and healthy bread company – please get in touch with Ingrid on email@example.com.
So these are not all completely gluten free but they are all wheat free and they ARE all, what I call, clean and healthy freefrom.
I hate a LONG list full if ingredients I couldn’t identify in my cupboard. If it’s not normal bread like ingredients I don’t really want to eat it. My skin and gut don’t like the heavily processed freefrom breads.
What is your favourite wheat free or freefrom bread? Are there others I should try?