This is one of the most tasty, delicious treats and they’re so healthy. Packed with calcium and all the other minerals you’ll find in seeds it’s a brilliant snack, topping for yogurt, porridge and muesli.
They’re freefrom nearly all of the top 14 allergens and you could easily make this completely top 14 free if you substitute the soya sauce as I do and leave out the sesame seeds. If you are allergic to any of the seeds listed, I often add other seeds like linseeds, chia seeds or you could add any other seeds you like.
What you’ll need
- 1 cup of sesame seeds (leave out if you are allergic)
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of sultanas (you could use currants or raisins – no idea what the difference is…)
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon or soya sauce ( I substitute Coconut Aminos as I’m allergic to soya)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large wok
- Add the seeds and toast until the pop, go golden and are gently toasted (3-5 minutes depending on how hot you have the heat. You don’t need it to be too hot of you’ll burn the seeds)
- Remove from the heat and add the honey, soya sauce and sultanas
- Mix together
It lasts for ages. I store it in the fridge.
This makes quite a lot but I love to have loads handy to last me a week or so.
Health benefits of seeds
- Pumpkin seeds – A good source of fibre, healthy fats, magnesium and zinc, iron and more. Visit NetDoctor for more.
- Sunflower seeds – A great source of fibre as well as Vitamin E, Selenium, B6, Folate and loads more! Visit Healthline for the full nutritional value of sunflower seeds.
- Sesame seeds is packed with vitamins. 100g of sesame seeds would give you 98% of your recommended daily intake of calcium. It also contains zinc, selenium and many other essential vitamins. Find out more here.
- Linseeds – full of calcium, B vitamins, zinc and healthy fatty acids.
What’s not to like about this healthy, nutritious snack.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this really simple recipe. Literally takes only 5-10 minutes to make. What seeds do you love? I urge you to give this a go, you’ll be surprised how tasty they are.