As an allergy and eczema patient expert I regularly speak to businesses and pharmaceutical companies and at allergy, eczema and food safety events to help them bridge the gap between the medication or product and the customer. It can also really help companies understand the challenges their customers face. I also speaks at events and join panel sessions at events like The Allergy Show and Food Matters Live.
I’ve been on TV on ITV news and Countryfile talking about ‘Eating out with allergies’ and ‘Living with hay fever’. I am also regularly interviewed on BBC radio, both national and local stations and Radio 5 Live about living with allergies.
I blog regularly about all sorts of subjects, including living with allergies, eczema and topical steroid withdrawal. I want to make life easier, help others feel less alone and help to normalise these life limiting conditions by helping to raise awareness and share the real challenges faced by people as the real struggle is often invisible.
If you would like to speak, please email ruth at whatallergy dot com. (email hidden in vain attempt to avoid bots and spam)
- October 2020 – Food Unwrapped – The Shocking Truth about eating out with allergies – A wonderful day of filming with a great bunch of people and got to meet Kate Quilton. I ended up on the cutting room floor but you can catch a fleeting view of me!
- May 2016 – BBC Countryfile Hayfever special
- July 2015 – ITV news – Allergen regulations
- October 2014 – New food labelling laws to be rolled out – BBC News – Filmed in my kitchen, talking about how the new food allergen regulations will help me to eat out safely.
Brands I work with:
- Epaderm – Promoting Topical Steroid Withdrawal with a product that I used a lot at the beginning of my TSW journey. One of the better paraffin based emollients on the market with no SLS or preservatives.
- View on Daily Mail Website Woman ages 20 years after cutting out topical steroids
- or download PDF – minus all the horrible adverts and popups! – PDF version of Daily Mail article
- Lyonsleaf – One of my favourite independent British skincare brands. These guys have been following my TSW journey and I’d been using their products after discovering them at the Allergy Show many years ago. Their products are gentle and kind enough for my skin even when it’s been really sore and inflamed. Read my story on natural skincare and surviving TSW on their blog the Herbal Burble!
- Balmonds – My other favourite natural skincare brand. They’re really supportive to the TSW community and my favourite products are the Rosehip oil, Tea Tree balm and Lavender Balm – as well as the old favourite – Skin Salvation emollient. One of the hardest things to cope with during TSW is the lack of sleep, for months on end. I shared some of the my most successful sleep tips with Balmonds in this blog – How to get through TSW – Ruth Holroyd’s sleep tips!
- Creative Nature – As a self confessed Gnawbles addict, I work with Julianne and the team to help raise awareness for her amazing Top14 free cake mixes, chocolate snacks, pancake mixes and snack bar range.
- The Real Skin Club
Campaigns and projects
- Change AD – raising awareness of Atopic Dermatitis with Sanofi. Check out Atopic Dermatitis LIfe Hacks and select AD Life Hacks from the menu.
It’s a real privilege to get the chance to share my story and help raise awareness of allergies, anaphylaxis and eczema and Topical Steroid Withdrawal. Here are just a few of the events I’ve spoken at:
- HORT Talk Podcast – Natasha’s Law Episode coming soon!
- Natasha’s Law Seminar
- The Caterer Allergen Summit – May 2020
- The Allergy Show
- Foods Matters Live
- Houses of Parliament for Allergy UK
- Anaphylaxis Campaign
Awards and achievements
- FreeFrom Hero Award 2021 – The Free From Awards
- Top 10 Health Blogs 2020 – Vuelio
- Finalist in the Allergy Blog Awards 2017
- Top 10 Health Blog 2016
- Best FreeFrom Blogger 2014 – People’s Choice Awards
- Top 10 Health Blogs 2014 (Cision)
- Top 5 Allergy Blogs 2011
Allergy Today Podcast
Series one, recorded in 2020 includes 15 episodes. Listen to The Allergy Today Podcast on Pod Bean here.