I’ve found reading one of the things that’s really got me through topical steroid withdrawal (TSW). I can get lost in books and love learning about new things too. The eczema and TSW community has so many amazing creative souls, so here, in no particular order, are my top seven books for people with eczema and topical steroid withdrawal.
- Curing my Incurable Eczema by Cara Ward – Cara’s journey through TSW. Cara give so much to the TSW community and has healed from TSW and now has completely clear skin. It gives us all hope and her book takes you with her along her journey. Click the title to find it on Amazon.
- This is not Eczema by Claire Oxenham – An illustrated guide to Topical Steroid Withdrawal and what to expect. Claire is going through topical steroid withdrawal herself and wrote this book to help explain the condition to others. I’d describe it as a coffee table book with fun and moving illustrations of all the symptoms you’ll get in TSW.
- The Shape of Skin by Ruth Holroyd – A collection of poetry for people with eczema and topical steroid withdrawal. This was a labour of love, loss, grief and hope. I wrote a lot during my TSW journey and still am, journaling and poetry. They are raw and honest and I hope will help you feel less alone, understood and held in your own skin travels.
- The peculiar disappearance of Jillian Sanchez by Kelly Toews – Written by fellow TSW warrior, is a story of loss, of pitching into the unknown, of darkness and light and healing. This is currently available on Amazon in Canada.
- Iron Skin by Brendan John Lee – a memoir of living through Topical Steroid Withdrawal and so well written. I’m reading this one at the moment and really enjoying hearing how he got through his own healing journey.
- Wildflower by Kuldeep Lall – Poetry and prose (and everything in between), short pieces and long ones, logical expositions of facts, observations, reasonings, questions and answers, together with a relentless, wild, passionate work to dig to find feelings, love, pain and rage, and bring them under the moonlight, in striking ways, two sides of the world, Western and Eastern, meeting each other in one human being: all this, and so much more,. Kuldeep is going through topical steroid withdrawal and some of her poems are about her skin healing journey.
- The Eczema Detox Cookbook by Karen Fischer – An excellent cook book with meal suggestions and recipes that should be good for eczema skin. This is the fist book I ever saw TSW mentioned in too so Karen understands and recognises the condition.
What are your favourite books? Books that have helped you through topical steroid withdrawal, or with your eczema? Please share them below.