For those of you who can’t have any dairy or gluten, you’ll love this quick and easy, oh so simple recipe for cake in 3 minutes!
After a few pleas for a GF version I found a delicious sounding alternative recipe on Gluten Free Living website which uses rice and tapioca flour.
Ingredients for gluten free, dairy free cake in a Mug
The ingredients are a bit different as it contains milk but you can substitute with rice or soya milk.
- 1 Large Coffee Mug (or small bowl/glass measuring jug)
- 2 Tablespoons rice flour
- 2 Tablespoons Tapioca flour
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum (optional, I have made it without and it’s fine)
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa/drinking chocolate (check it is dairy free)
- 1 egg
- 3 Tablespoons milk or rice/soya milk
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 3 Tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
- small splash vanilla essence
How to make Gluten free and Dairy Free Cake in a mug
- Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well
- Add egg, mix thoroughly
- Add milk and oil, mix again
- Add chocolate chips and vanilla, mix
- Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 minutes in the microwave. Cake will rise over the top of the mug!
This may serve two as a dessert depending on your appetite. I have been known to wolf down the whole lot!
Variations on cake in a mug
You can have some fun by adding different fillings and toppings. Be adventurous and try things out.
- In the bottom of another mug place 2 tablespoons of jam. Mix the cake up and pour the cake mixture over the jam. When cooked, tip out for a chocolate dessert with jam sauce topping.
- Make as for jam variation but leave out cocoa replacing it with same amount of rice flour. Add grated orange rind to mixture.
- Add raspberries to the bottom – works really well with the chocolate version
- Add banana slices to the bottom
- Stir in some soaked and washed sultanas
This recipe does make too much cake for one person and it doesn’t really keep too well; it’s best eaten warm and gooey straight from the microwave. I’d love to hear from anyone who has tried it. What did you think? Did you like it? Anyway happy baking everyone. Move over Nigella – the microwave cake bakers are coming!
Try adding small chunks of plain chocolate (check ingredients)to the mix. You will get little surprises of melted chocolate. Mmmmmm
I just made this with a variation on the recipe. Didn’t have tapioca flour so I used one tbsp of potato and one of maize flour. I also added one tbsp of mesquite flour. I also left out the choc buttons and guar gum as I don’t have those either and it’s still yummy. De-lic-ious. I might even say it’s better than the plain normal flour version. Perhaps not quite so risen but so tasty. Might be able to eat whole lot in one sitting!