Sounds too good to be true right? Could it even be possible I hear you ask? Dair, wheat and egg free cake, made in a mug? Yes you read that correctly, and the best bit of all is that it only takes three minutes to cook in the microwave AND tastes really amazing.
Should I be this excited about Cake in a mug?
Thanks to Becci Nash, who gave my mum this recipe, I’ve had a great bank holiday weekend with lovely memories of family, friends, parties and best of all (sorry everyone – this was a big moment for me) the discovery of cake-in-a-mug.
I would never have considered making cake in the microwave, it just doesn’t quite sound plausible does it? My microwave experimentation doesn’t stretch much further than heating up meals and defrosting; I’m a bit traditional when it comes to cooking.
Saves time and is cheap and easy
Making a cake in a mug also sounds a little crazy, but the beauty of this is that it’s so easy and quick to make, it’s ideal for busy mums needing a quick snack/treat; and you can make it in their favourite mug/cup if microwavable and non stick.
So this weekend I lined up the ingredients and made a delicious cake in just 3 minutes. If you count the measuring and stirring it probably took all of 5 minutes.
What you’ll need to make cake-in-a-mug
All you need is:
- a tablespoon, (I used American measuring spoons but you could use a normal table spoon, although these can vary in size)
- a large mug (or two small ones would suffice). You could also use a small bowl.
- a microwave oven
- and of course the ingredients.
How to make cake-in-a-mug
It’s so easy to make and is really delicious. It tastes kind of like a cross between a chocolate muffin and chocolate pudding, and is really rich and moist. This is what you will need:
Ingredients for dairy free cake in a mug
- 9 TBSP – Hot chocolate powder (Check the ingredients to ensure it is dairy-free)
- 4 TBSP – Self raising flour (substitute with your favourite gluten free flour)
- 1 egg (use ground flax seed – 3 TBSPS of water to 1 TBSP of ground flax seed)
- 3 TBSP – Sunflower oil
- 3 TBSP – Water
- 1 pinch of salt
How to make cake in the microwave in 3 minutes
It really is so easy
- Grease the inside of 1 big mug (or 2 small)
- Put dry ingredients into mug (Hot choc powder, flour and salt)
- Crack egg into dry ingredients and stir
- Now add the oil and water and beat – make sure you thoroughly mix, especially the bit at the bottom of the mug
- Microwave for 3 minutes
It passes the taste test
I tested the cake on my next door neighbours, my husband and some of my family and they all said it was lovely, and couldn’t believe it was made in a microwave. They all also wanted the recipe so I thought this was a great one to share on my blog.
Just five small steps to chocolate cake! Go on, give it a try and let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy it. Have you tried this out? Did it work for you? I’d love to hear your thoughts